The Formula to get a Top-Job in Canada
Learn how you can get one of the top jobs for new graduates in Canada.
Most people who attend Canadian universities show up to classes, graduate, and land a job in their field.
But there is a difference between the students who get the best jobs and the ones who don’t.
There are a few simple strategies that some students use to get these jobs. The best part is, you can also earn a top job by following some of the same steps they did.
So, how do you position yourself as one of the students who are able to land one of the most desirable jobs?
Here is the four-step process that the best students follow to getting their first white-collar jobs in Canada:
Connect with the Fraser Valley India community and stay up-to-date.
Get access to campus news, and events.
Yes, you will develop incredible skills during your program at UFV.
Your entire education at UFV is based off the principle of “learning by doing”. Soon you’ll be debating ideas with your classmates, delivering professional level presentations, and learning new things at a fast pace.
All of this will increase your confidence and begin to prepare you for your first job.
But remember — the companies you want to work for want to be sure that you can apply the skills you are learning in class in to a professional environment.
The best way you can to this is to actually apply the skills.
Here are just a few ways that UFV helps you do this while you are still a student (in both India and Canada):
- Join the Student Company Program: Start a real company with your fellow students and get mentored by business professionals.
- Do a summer internship in India: Get valuable work experience for your resume in a respected organization.
- Get a co-op job in Canada: The UFV Co-operative education program places you with top Canadian companies for four and eight-month work terms during your degree. You also earn UFV academic credit in the process.
- Get a job on campus in Canada: The UFV work-study program places students in 10-20 hour a week positions within the university.
- Become a student leader: Join the leadership team of the UFV Student Union Society (SUS) — SUS is a not-for-profit organization that is run by UFV students to help support UFV students.
- Teach your peers: If academics are your strength, you can become the (paid) leader of a Supported Learning Group (SLG) at UFV in Canada.
- Volunteer on campus: There are countless ways to volunteer at UFV in Canada or India. You can sign-up to mentor your peers in the UFV Academic Success Centre, ask your professors about getting involved in research, or become a Fraser Valley India Student Ambassador (just to name a few).
- Get a part-time job off campus in Canada: Log-in to Career Link (UFV jobs portal) to browse dozens of job listings available to UFV students in Canada. You can also reach out on your own to local businesses to get experience. Start a real company with your fellow students and get mentored by business professionals.
Step #2: Begin developing skills for your career
While you are getting the knowledge and skills that employers want, it’s important to know how to communicate your value to the companies you want to work for.
Your best resource for learning how to be an attractive job candidate is the UFV Career Centre. The career experts on staff offer a variety of free services to UFV students on topics such as writing effective resumes, practicing your interviewing skills, and job search strategies.
One of the best ways to showcase your achievements is through your UFV Co-Curricular Record (CCR).
Your CCR is an official university document that you can show to employers that highlights what you learn outside of class.
You can even get personalized UFV business cards to give out to company representatives.
Step #3: Learn how to sell your skills
You may be familiar with the concept of “placements” in Indian universities. This type of hiring process is less common in Canada; instead, companies reach students in multiple other ways.
UFV hosts a large career fair each year on the Abbotsford campus. This gives you an opportunity to meet with over 45 local and national employers who are ready to hire.
Be sure to attend the career fair even if you aren’t near the end of your degree. The relationships you build with company representatives may help you secure a job in their company in the future.
Finally, it is time to start applying.
Begin your search on Career Link (UFV’s job posting website) and then browse other job posting websites like Workopolis and LinkedIn.
One smart method to find great jobs is to check out the website of recruiters in the city you are looking to live in.
Step #4: Build relationships and apply for jobs
Stay updated with Fraser Valley India news
Read the stories of accomplished alumni, dynamic students, experienced faculty members, and the overall happenings of a bustling campus.
This method of getting a top job requires a lot of hard work and dedication, but it works.
Finding a great job is a long-term commitment, but if you follow these simple four steps, you will be well on your way to career success.