Can I study and work part time to help finance myself in Canada?


Note: This is not legal advice. Please view the official policy from the Government of Canada’s Immigration and Citizenship website to inform your planning. 

Yes, you can in certain circumstances. However; when applying for a student authorization, you must be able to prove to the visa officer that you have enough finances to support yourself the entire length of the program. International students can work off campus without a work permit up to 20 hours per week during studies and 40 hours per week during vacations. They can earn approximately C $10.25 per hour. Students can work full time off campus during co-op terms and can earn approximately C$ 10 – C$ 15 per hour, amounting to C$ 400 to C $ 1,000 per month. You are allowed to work in Canada for 1-3 years after completing your academic program, depending on the length of the program. Learn more about working in Canada from the Government of Canada’s Immigration and Citizenship website.